About Us
Contact Us

Upcoming Events
  Recent Events

Frequently Asked Questions   
Union Church History
  Detailed History
Photo Gallery
  Historical Pictures
  Exterior Photos
  Interior Photos
  Cemetery Photos
How You Can Help
  Purchase UC   Merchandise
  Make a Donation

The Union Church Preservation Project

Historical Timeline of the Union Church

1727 - Falmouth Cemetery founded

1733 - The first church on the site (Falmouth Anglican Church) was built

1760 - Second Falmouth Anglican Church was built

1818 - Second Falmouth Anglican Church burned

1819 - A third church on site was built by the Falmouth community utilizing portions of the same brick foundation. This became the Union Church.

1862 - Union troops occupied the church during the Civil War

1867 - Current church bell was cast, probably replacing the original bell as a casualty of the Civil War

1868 - Church services resumed after repairs were made

1935 - Last services held in Union Church

1950 - A violent rainstorm severely damaged the roof of the church leading to a
collapse of the chancel and nave

1954 - The rear of the narthex (as it presently stands) was bricked up in 1954 by
the community in an attempt to save what was left of the town’s old landmark

1969 - Listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register

1970 - Listed in National Register of Historic Places

2009 - Trustees of the Union Church Historic Site was founded to help preserve the
Union Church

2011 - Original 1868 Bell Removed From Belfry

2012 - Roof Replaced (with temporary modern shingle roof)

2012 - Open House with tours for Falmouth community

2013 - Exterior wood painted for first time since 1954



©2013 The Union Church Preservation Project
Falmouth, Virginia